Lalit Modi refuses to accept the summons to appear before the Chennai police.
Chennai: Suspended IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi has refused to accept summons issued by the Chennai Police in connection with a complaint filed by BCCI secretary N Srinivasan alleging irregularities to the tune of Rs 470 crore.
The summons, which were issued to Modi at his Mumbai address last month, returned on Tuesday marked 'refused', top police officials told PTI.
Modi and six others had been summoned by the police on December 28 to appear before them before January seven for inquiry.
"Police are waiting for a reply from the others and we have to wait till January seven", officials said.
Besides Modi, the others summoned by the Central Crime Branch were Kunal Dasgupta, Venu Nair, Andrew Georgio, Seamus O'brien, Harish Krishnamachar and Ajay Verma in connection with the complaint filed by Srinivasan.
They had been summoned under CrPC sections 91 (to produce documents or other things) and 160 (power to require attendance of witnesses).
Srinivasan had lodged a complaint against Modi, charging him with misappropriation of Rs 470 crore, mainly in alloting media rights and free commercial rights.
The CCB had registered a case in October against Modi and the others under different sections including criminal conspiracy, criminal breach of trust, falsification of accounts and cheating.
As part of its probe, the police had sought details from the Board of Control for Cricket in India on the series of meetings between BCCI and IPL and its minutes.
Modi's counsel Mehmood Abdi told PTI that no summons had been received from the Chennai police at Modi's Mumbai address.
"Where is the question of refusal? " he asked adding, "the whole world knows that since May last year, Modi has been
overseas and he has been interacting with media and cooperating with agencies such as ED etc. from London".