As Sachin Tendulkar turns 40, here\'s a look at 15 interesting facts about the batting legend.
The man who has put India in almost every cricket record book once fielded for Pakistan and was a ballboy during the 1987 World Cup in India. That and some of the other interesting facts about the batting legend, who turned 40 on Wednesday.
1. Tendulkar was a ballboy during the 1987 World Cup co-hosted by India.
2. Tendulkar wanted to be a fast bowler but was rejected by Australian great Dennis Lillee - the former head of the MRF Pace Academy at Chennai - in 1987.
3. He is the only player to score a century in all three of his domestic first-class debuts - Ranji Trophy, Duleep Trophy and Irani Cup.
4. Tendulkar has 13 coins given to him by his childhood coach Ramakant Achrekar. For every practice session he got through without being dismissed, Achrekar Sir would award Tendulkar with a coin.
5. A huge fan of John McEnroe, Tendulkar grew his hair and tied a band around it to copy McEnroe. He was fondly called 'Mac' by his friends.
6. Tendulkar fielded for Pakistan as a substitute during a one-day practice match against India at the Brabourne Stadium in 1988.
7. His father named him Sachin after the great musician Sachin Dev Burman.
8. Tendulkar was the first overseas-born player to represent Yorkshire. He was just 19 then.
9. Tendulkar was the first player to be given out by the third umpire when he was given run out during an ODI in South Africa.
10. Sachin Tendulkar has made appearances at 90 different venues.
11. Sachin Tendulkar went to watch the movie Roja in a disguise, but his plan failed when the glasses fell and the crowd recognised him in the cinema hall.
12. Former England pacer Allan Mulally complained about Tendulkar's bat being broader than the prescribed limits. Mulally was making his Test debut in that match.
13. Tendulkar is the only Indian cricketer to have won the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award and Padma Shri.
14. Tendulkar's record of five Test centuries before the age of 20 is a current world record.
15. Tendulkar is the only player who has 40 wickets and more than 11000 runs in Tests