Nath seeks to soothe tempers on CEO's killing
Posted on: 09:25 PM IST Sep 24, 2008
New Delhi: Condemning the killing of a CEO in Greater Noida on Monday, the Centre on Wednesday said legal course would be followed to bring culprits to book and the incident would not be allowed to mar India's position as an investment destination.
"This terrible incident is very unfortunate and we strongly condemn it. The legal course will be followed and all the culprits will be brought to book. This stray tragic occurrence would not be allowed to mar India's position as an investment destination," Commerce and Industry Minister Kamal Nath said in a statement.
Kamal Nath is leaving this week-end for Paris where he is scheduled to interact with European investors.
Meanwhile, Italy has already expressed its shock over the incident.
"The situation had been repeatedly brought to the attention of the competent Indian authorities, both at central and local level," the Italian Embassy said on Tuesday.
It said the incident was all the more worrying as the Italian firm had been facing for several months violent forms of protests by "self-proclaimed representatives of workers".
CEO of Italy-based Graziano Transmissioni L K Chaudhury was beaten to death on September 22, allegedly by a group of dismissed workers in the factory premises in Greater Noida in Uttar Pradesh.
Taking a different line from Labour Minister Oscar Fernandes, Kamal Nath said the violence at the Greater Noida plant was at variance with the Indian culture and tradition of peace.
"In our society, labour unrest has abundant legal forms of expression as also the pursuance of grievances," he stated.
Oscar Fernandes had said that the incident should serve as a "warning" to the managements. He has since apologised for his statement.
The Indian industry has expressed shock both at the incident as also Fernandes' comments on it.
More from this Section
July 2, 2015, 10:20 am IST
July 2, 2015, 10:10 am IST
July 2, 2015, 7:48 am IST
July 1, 2015, 12:03 pm IST