Gilbert stands down as NSW cricket chief
Posted on: 06:26 PM IST Jan 14, 2013
Sydney: David Gilbert resigned on Monday after 11 years as the chief executive of New South Wales Cricket, following recent criticism of his performance in the role by veteran paceman Brett Lee.
Former Test fast bowler Gilbert, 52, said the time was right for him to step down and that his decision had not been influenced by the "recent commentary".
"After 11 successful years, I am now at the point where I am ready to take on a new challenge," Gilbert said in a statement.
"This is not a sudden decision - it is something I have been contemplating over the past 12 months. As far as recent commentary is concerned, it comes with the job and I've never shied away from it.
"The simple truth is that I've been in the role for much longer than most sports administrators could ever dream of."
Gilbert said now that the busiest period of the Australian season had passed he felt it was right to give the Cricket NSW time and opportunity to search for his replacement, adding that he would leave his position on January 31.
Lee said last month that Cricket NSW had "seriously dropped the ball" and its chief Gilbert "should have been made to go" instead of sacked team coach Anthony Stuart.
"Cricket NSW is all about leadership, and while that comes from the coach, it comes from the top, too, and I believe for the last five or six years NSW has seriously dropped the ball," said Lee, who subsequently had misconduct charges against him withdrawn.
Gilbert, who played nine Tests from 1985 to 1986, was Surrey's cricket manager in 1995 before moving to Sussex two years later as general manager and chief executive before returning home in 2001 to take over the CEO job at Cricket NSW.