Bangladesh: Man pulled out 100 hours after building collapse
Posted on: 10:10 PM IST Apr 28, 2013
Savar: In a miraculous rescue, a victim was pulled out from under the mangled pile of metal and concrete, 100 hours after the collapse of an eight-storey building in Bangladesh that has claimed nearly 400 lives. The survivor, Sadik, 22, was rescued from the third floor of the building this afternoon.
Rescue workers had found nine more people alive under the rubble of collapsed Rana Plaza, the Daily Star reported. "We will try to rescue the nine survivors manually at first. If we fail, we will use powerful cranes to lift concrete slabs to pull them out alive," said Major General Chowdhury Hasan Sarwardi, general officer commanding of Nine Infantry Division.
The structure, that housed five garment factories, a bank branch and around three hundred shops employing thousands of workers, collapsed on April 24 leaving at least 397 people dead. Meanwhile, rescuers postponed the second phase of rescue operations using heavy cranes and bulldozers as they said they were trying to retrieve alive manually the last few survivors.
So far, around 2,443 survivors have been rescued from beneath the rubble with nine persons pulled out alive on Sunday.
More from this Section
July 5, 2015, 10:46 pm IST
July 5, 2015, 10:08 pm IST
July 5, 2015, 9:43 pm IST
July 5, 2015, 9:05 pm IST