UK: 'Soldier' beheaded in \'Islamist terror attack\' outside military barracks
Posted on: 10:52 PM IST May 22, 2013
London: The UK government on Wednesday swung into action after a man was beheaded in an alleged Islamist terror attack outside Royal Military Barracks in Woolwich in southeast London. Unconfirmed reports said that victim was a soldier.
According to the police, the two attackers had been shot. MP Nick Raynsford said the two were undergoing treatment at a hospital. CNN reported that the assailants used a meat cleaver to attack the soldier.
The British media reported that the killing was being treated as a terrorist attack.
The government, meanwhile, called an emergency meeting and Prime Minister David Cameron said that the Home Secretary had been asked to chair a COBRA meeting. He called the incident shocking.
Raynsford said, "The attack happened outside Woolwich barracks. The soldier was first hit by a vehicle. The soldier was a victim of unprovoked attacked by two people. Both the attackers are in hospital."
More from this Section
July 4, 2015, 12:27 am IST
July 3, 2015, 11:32 pm IST
July 3, 2015, 10:46 pm IST
July 3, 2015, 10:40 pm IST