Case against Italian marines to continue: MEA
Posted on: 06:41 PM IST Apr 24, 2012
New Delhi: Notwithstanding the compensation of Rs one crore to the families of two fishermen allegedly killed by two Italian marines, the Ministry of External Affairs on Tuesday said the detention case against those two Italians will continue.
Reiterating India's position that it has the jurisdiction over the matter, official spokesperson in the MEA Syed Akbaruddin said there is a case in the Supreme Court over the jurisdiction of Indian law over the detention of two Italians and until the Court decides on it, the case will continue.
Noting that the case will come up on May 8, he said the Centre, which has asked for MEA's views in the matter, will present its stand before the apex court.
"As long as that case is decided and disposed off, our view has been that our jurisdiction extends to the detention. There can be people with different view points......The case on the detention would continue and until the Supreme Court decides otherwise, that will remain our view," he said.
Asked about the compensation being paid to the families of the two fishermen allegedly killed by the Italians, the spokesperson said it was not a settlement between Indian State or another international state. "So, I cannot comment on that".
Meanwhile, as part of a compensation package in the Enrica Lexie case, family members of the two Indian fishermen withdrew their complaint against the naval guards on getting Rs one crore each from Italian authorities.
The marines had been charged with murder under Indian laws for shooting dead the fishermen Valentine Jalastine and Ajesh Binki in February last when they were fishing in a boat off Kollam coast of Kerala.