Prime Minister's bypass surgery update
Posted on: 08:43 AM IST Jan 24, 2009
<New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh underwent coronary artery bypass surgery at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
The surgery was done as Manmohan Singh has multiple blockages in his heart which were discovered during a routine examination.
Prime Minister's health update:
- Saturday (January 24) 1600 hrs IST: Prime Minister's bypass surgery over.
- The first graft successfully performed on the Prime Minister at 1510 hrs IST.
- The medical bulletin of the Prime Minister will be at 1800 hrs IST.
- The surgery is being undertaken at operation theatre No. 5 at AIIMS
- Saturday (January 24) 0715 hrs IST: Bypass surgery starts.
- Saturday (January 24) 0530 hrs IST: Doctors take the Prime Minister to the operation theater.
- The team includes interventional cardiac surgeon Dr Vijay D'Silva, cardiac surgeon Dr Pradyot Kumar Rath, cardiac anesthetic Dr Narendra Garach, cardiac surgeon Dr Ramakant Panda. The 11-doctor team is headed by Dr K Srinath Reddy. Dr Reddy is the chief of Prime Minister's medical panel and former head of cardiology at AIIMS.
- A team of 11 doctors from All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and Asian Heart Institute is conducting the surgery.
- Dr Ramakant Panda of the Asian Heart Institute, Mumbai has conducted 700 repeat bypass surgeries
- Dr Panda flew in on Friday night from Mumbai with a team of 10 surgeons, nurses and paramedics.
- Two doctors from AIIMS, Dr Milind Hote and Dr SK Chaudhry. who are Associate Professors and cardio-thoracic surgeons will take part in the Prime Minister's surgery.
- Friday (January 23) : Prime Minister Manmohan Singh admitted to AIIMS.