Ferrari says no to tyre test with 2013 car
Posted on: 02:54 PM IST Jun 12, 2013
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has backed Formula One's governing body for their handling of a tyre testing controversy involving rivals Mercedes.
The International Automobile Federation (FIA) has summoned Mercedes and tyre supplier Pirelli to its international tribunal in Paris on June 20 on charges of breaking the rules by testing in Spain last month.
"We have faith in the FIA," Montezemolo is quoted as saying by the Ferrari website.
"Let's hope formula one can maintain its professionalism and we have faith that those who attempt to circumvent the regulations are pursued and prosecuted, or rather more prosecuted than pursued," he added.
Earlier, Pirelli had also approached Red Bull about a test, but team boss Christian Horner said no because of his reservations about the rules.
"Of course we said no," Ferrari spokesman Renato Bisignani told Brazil's O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper, confirming that the Italian team also turned down an approach from Pirelli.
"The regulations prohibit the use of a car from this year," he added, clarifying that Ferrari's Pirelli tyre test just after Bahrain Grand Prix was with a 2011 car.
"I don't know whether Mercedes will have points deducted or Ross Brawn will lose his job, but I do think there will be penalties because something was not quite right," F1 team owner turned pundit Eddie Jordan said.
More from this Section
August 28, 2015, 8:23 pm IST
August 28, 2015, 6:07 pm IST
August 28, 2015, 5:34 pm IST
August 28, 2015, 5:23 pm IST