Justice Verma committee recommendations at a glance
Posted on: 08:25 AM IST Jan 24, 2013
New Delhi: In a detailed and scathing report, the three-member Justice JS Verma Committee called for stricter implementation of existing laws, police reforms, gender sensitisation of the security agencies and judiciary along with several changes in the Indian Penal Code (IPC) to deal with crime against women particularly rape cases.
Following the recommendations made by the panel:
- Whoever commits the offence of rape shall be punished with rigorous imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than seven years but may extend to imprisonment for life.
- Punishment for causing death or a persistent vegetative state shall be given rigorous imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than 20 years but may be for life also, which shall mean the rest of the person's life.
- Gangrape will entail a punishment of not less than 20 years, but which also may extend to life.
- Gangrape followed by death shall be punished with life imprisonment.
- Voyeurism will be punished with up to seven years.
- Stalking or attempts to contact a person repeatedly through any means shall be liable to get a term of up to three years.
- Acid attacks would be punished by up to seven years.
- A separate Bill of Rights for women that entitles a woman a life of dignity and security.
- Review of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act.
- Trafficking will be punished with rigorous imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than seven years, but which may also extend to 10 years.
- A separate Bill of Rights for women which will ensure that a woman shall have the right to have complete sexual autonomy including with respect to her relationships.
- A special procedure for protecting persons with disabilities from rape and requisite procedures for access to justice for such persons.
More from this Section
July 31, 2015, 6:30 pm IST
July 31, 2015, 6:11 pm IST
July 31, 2015, 5:40 pm IST
July 31, 2015, 5:32 pm IST