Leh clash: Army submits report to defence ministry
Posted on: 03:28 PM IST May 12, 2012
New Delhi: The Army has submitted a report to the Defence Ministry about the clash between jawans and officers at a firing range near the India-China boundary in Nyoma, Ladakh.
An initial report about the incident has been submitted to the Defence Ministry. Details about the entire episode would be provided only after the Court of Inquiry (CoI) instituted in the matter submits its findings, Army sources said in New Delhi.
However, sources said there seemed to be an attempt earlier on part of the Army to cover up the whole incident as it had informed the ministry that there was only a scuffle between jawans and officers and those details were not provided. Soon after media reports about the ncident surfaced, the Army had issued a public statement dismissing the incident as a scuffle.
The Army has ordered a Court of Inquiry into a scuffle that broke out between officers and jawans in Ladakh after the Ministry sought a detailed report from it on the incident.
Army sources said the officers and jawans involved in the clashes will now be attached to the CoI ordered by the superior headquarters and will face action.
On whether Commanding Officer of 226 Field Regiment Colonel Kadam was being relieved of his command duties in view of the incident, Army sources denied this saying the officer had anyways completed his command tenure and was expecting a posting in the near future.
Sources said there was also a possibility that the unit may be disbanded after the completion of the disciplinary proceedings into the case.