Uttarakhand floods: High-level meet convened to fasten relief process
Posted on: 10:03 PM IST Jun 18, 2013
New Delhi: A high level meeting between Defence Secretary, National Disaster Response Force and other agencies has been convened to expedite the relief process after 58 people died in Uttarakhand following heavy rains that have caused massive landslides and floods in the state, Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth told CNN-IBN.
"We are going to take Indian Air Force's help to evacuate people from all corners of the state," Singh said. "We are in constant touch with the state government and the Prime Minister is also concerned. We will do our best," he added.
Uttarakhand continues to face nature's fury with torrential monsoon rains ravaging large parts of the state. At least 58 people have died and nearly 72,000 are still stranded across Uttarakhand with the holy town of Kedarnath being the worst hit. Sources in the state government claim that death toll in Kedarnath could be high as relief and rescue efforts have started in full swing.
The state has received 313 mm rainfall so far which is a phenomenal 375 per cent above the normal benchmark of 65.9 mm rainfall that state receives during a normal monsoon. Rudraprayag bore the brunt of the disaster with a large number of structures including shrines, hotels, rest houses, commercial and residential buildings collapsing like a pack of cards in the district.