More arrests likely in Malegaon blast case: ATS
Posted on: 11:01 PM IST Mar 07, 2011
Mumbai: Maharashtra ATS has got "new material and good information" after interrogating Praveen Mutalik and some more arrests are likely in connection with the 2008 Malegaon blast case, the chief of the squad said
"During the interrogation of Mutalik, we have got good information and new material that has been recorded. He told us about the boys who underwent training of bomb making, using of weapons and marshal arts. The names of boys are with us," Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) Chief Rakesh Maria claimed.
Praveen Venkatesh Takalki alias Praveen Mutalik, a member of radical Hindu outfit Abhinav Bharat, was arrested from Gokak town in Belgaum district of Karnataka on January 31 by the ATS in the 2008 blast case.
The 32-year-old, who is behind the bars for his alleged role in the Malegaon blast case, had worked as a personal secretary to Lt Colonel Shrikant Prasad Purohit - another key accused held in the case - for three months before the blast.
"Purohit and Mutalik used to scout for boys who could be used for such (terror) activities. Mutalik has given us the names of the boys who underwent training under his supervision," the IPS officer added.
The statements of the "boys" have been recorded before a magistrate, Maria said, adding that "some would be arrested in the blast case while some would be taken as witnesses."
Six people were killed and scores wounded in the bomb blast on September 29, 2008, in the communally sensitive Malegaon town in Nashik district.
Maria refused to divulge more information but said, "the ATS would soon file supplementary charge sheet in the court."
The ATS has so far arrested 12 persons, including prime accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and Lt Colonel Shrikant Purohit, members of the same right-wing Hindu group.
More from this Section
July 4, 2015, 12:27 am IST
July 3, 2015, 11:32 pm IST
July 3, 2015, 10:46 pm IST
July 3, 2015, 10:40 pm IST