Mumbai: NRI finds a nail in McDonald's burger
Posted on: 05:03 PM IST Aug 08, 2012
Mumbai: If this was the fast food joints idea of introducing some iron into its junk fare, then it at least managed to rivet the attention of Ruchika Pandey, though not in a favourable way. The 41-year-old NRI discovered a half-inch nail while chomping on a burger at a McDonalds outlet in Malad (W). The Dubai resident has filed a police complaint. Ruchika was at the Infiniti mall eatery around 10.30 pm on Sunday with two friends in tow. We had ordered three chicken burgers. It was a scary sight when the nail emerged out of my burger. I immediately called the staff and informed them about it, she said.
But the McDonalds representatives were uncooperative, she says. They promptly threw my burger into the dustbin and placed a new one on my table. I told them that I wanted the original burger with the nail back, but they wouldnt listen to me. I had to fight for about two hours for them to oblige. Instead of assisting me, they started telling me that they would lose their jobs because of my complaint. I was shocked with their behaviour. Later, they asked me to come back next morning. Also, they offered to refund the money I had paid for the burgers, she said.Ruchika says she recently underwent a surgery and has become circumspect about what she eats. Back in the city after four-and-a-half years, she says this is her worst experience in Mumbai. I told the McDonalds staff to call for inspection so they can at least check the hygiene quotient of the food. But, they refused to help me, she added.Bun-gle up!Ruchika then went over to Bangur Nagar police station. I gave them a complaint in writing and the cops told me they would visit the McDonalds outlet and also send the burger for testing, she said. I am doing it for the kids who eat burgers without even chewing them much. They virtually swallow them. I shudder while imagining this happening to a child, she told MiD DAY.Her lawyer, Dr Ramakant Pandey, is also planning to file a case against McDonalds on her behalf. He said,This is a very unfortunate oversight by such a big international company. I will be speaking to Ruchika in detail and will file a complaint against McDonalds soon.When contacted, Sanjay Patil, investigating officer of the case from Bangur Nagar police station, said, We have received the complaint and have also sent the burger for testing to a Dadar lab.Statement by McDonalds spokespersonWe are aware of the incident at our Malad restaurant. We are currently investigating the issue and senior officials from our team are in touch with the customer. At McDonalds we ensure that apt actions are always taken to ensure that the highest level of service standards and quality products, for which McDonalds is renowned the world over, are consistently maintained. Stringent quality measures are observed at our restaurant to ensure a quality product is served to our patrons.In addition, all our suppliers are Hazard Analysis or Critical Control Points [HACCP] approved to ensure that they meet McDonalds international standards of food safety. All our products are tested by an independent FSSAI approved laboratory in India.
More from this Section
October 4, 2015, 12:43 pm IST
October 4, 2015, 11:58 am IST
October 4, 2015, 11:17 am IST
October 4, 2015, 11:01 am IST