NHRC issues notice over Odisha electrocution death
Posted on: 11:56 AM IST Aug 31, 2013
Bhubaneswar: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued show-cause notice to a power distribution company after it denied compensation to an electrocution victim in Odisha, a complainant said Saturday.
The commission issued notice to the Southern Electricity Supply Company of Odisha Limited (Southco), which distributes electricity in eight southern districts of the state, said Akhanda, managing trustee of rights organisation India Media Centre (IMC).
He said a 30-year-old woman, Sanjulata Tarei, died after allegedly coming in contact with a live wire in Krushnaprasad area of Puri district Nov 2, 2012.
There was heavy rainfall in the area and the wire had come to a dangerously low height from the ground.
Southco, while admitting the incident of electrocution, had informed the state government that its franchisee company Enzen Global Solutions Private Limited was looking after the operation and maintenance and should be asked to pay the compensation.
The NHRC did not agree with the view of the Southco and said the supplier of electricity was liable for the damage caused, said Akhanda who lodged the complaint.
It described it as a "clear-cut case of negligence on the part of the supplier of the electricity for not maintaining the services in safe conditions".
The NHRC issued notice to the company to show cause as to why appropriate compensation be not recommended to be paid to the next of kin of the deceased.
The commission has asked the company to submit its response within four weeks.
More from this Section
October 5, 2015, 12:10 am IST
October 5, 2015, 12:03 am IST
October 4, 2015, 11:22 pm IST
October 4, 2015, 10:54 pm IST