No terror threat on Osama death anniversary: US
Posted on: 11:31 AM IST Apr 27, 2012
Washington: There is no credible terrorist threat to the US by al Qaeda or its affiliated outfits on the eve of the first death anniversary of Osama bin Laden, even as these groups continue to plan attacks against America to revenge his death, the White House said on Thursday.
"At this time we have no credible information that terrorist organizations, including al Qaeda, are plotting attacks in the US to coincide with the anniversary of bin Laden's death," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters at his daily news conference.
"However, we assess that AQ's affiliates and allies remain intent on conducting attacks in the homeland, possibly to avenge the death of bin Laden but not necessarily tied to the anniversary," he said.
Bin Laden was killed in a covert US raid in Pakistan's garrison town of Abbottabad on May 2 last year.
Carney's remarks came after President Barack Obama held a meeting with his national security team to review the threat perception.
"As part of his regular briefings on homeland security and counter-terrorism, the President met today with members of his national security team to review the threat picture as we head into the anniversary of the bin Laden take-down," he said.
"The President thanked his team and directed them to continue taking all necessary measures to protect the American people," Carney said.