Death toll rises in Pune blast; two detained
Posted on: 11:26 AM IST Feb 16, 2010
Pune: Two persons have been arrested in connection with the February 13 bomb blast in Pune, police said on Tuesday. The toll in the terror attack rose to 10 with a 24-year-old college student from Uttar Pradesh succumbing to his injuries.
Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh said two people had been detained on Monday night but declined to give details.
He said Abhishek Sabena, a student of D Y Patil College here, succumbed to his injuries at the Bahrain Hospital on Tuesday morning. The 24-year old student hailed from Uttar Pradesh and his body had been handed over to relatives.
Another 37 victims are currently undergoing treatment in various city hospitals; of these at least two are reported to be in a critical condition.
Addressing media persons briefly, the police commissioner said significant clues had been recovered from the CCTV footage of a hotel opposite the German Bakery, the blast site.
"We are now hunting for the prime accused in the case and expect to make an important breakthrough in the blast investigations very soon," Satyapal Singh asserted.
He said the forensic report of the blast site had revealed that the bomb contained a deadly mixture of ammonium nitrate, RDX and petroleum hydrocarbons.
"We are still awaiting details of the composition of these materials used in the bomb," he added.
RDX was also used in the used in the March 12, 1993 Mumbai serial blasts and several other terror attacks later.