Renault's Kubica to miss the remaining F1 season
Posted on: 11:01 AM IST May 24, 2011 IST
Monaco: Poland's Robert Kubica is sure to miss the entire Formula One season but might be able to take part in a Friday practice session at some point, the owner of his Renault team said on Monday.
Gerard Lopez, the Renault F1 chairman whose Genii Capital last year bought out the French carmaker, told Spain's Onda Cero radio that nobody could predict how well the driver would recover from the rally accident he suffered on Feb. 6.
"We will probably manage for (Kubica) to do a Friday session at some point in the year but for sure his return this season will not be possible," said Lopez, speaking after the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona.
"Robert has survived an impressive accident and now he has to do the hardest thing, to recover fully, which is something that nobody knows whether he will succeed. Not him, nor the doctors, nor us."
Kubica's former Sauber team mate Nick Heidfeld is standing in for the Pole at Lotus-backed Renault alongside Russian Vitaly Petrov.
The 26-year-old Kubica spent two months in hospital after suffering life-threatening arm, leg and hand injuries while competing in a minor rally in Italy.
The team said earlier this month that doctors considered the first stage of his recovery to be finished and he was now entering a new phase of rehabilitation.
Renault team boss Eric Boullier said at the time that it could be mid-June before he had a clearer picture of Kubica's prospects.
More from this Section
May 24, 2015, 12:59 pm IST
May 24, 2015, 11:39 am IST
May 24, 2015, 11:11 am IST
May 24, 2015, 10:44 am IST