Rohit Sharma becomes IPL's leading run scorer
Posted on: 08:38 AM IST May 07, 2008
Chennai: Deccan Chargers batsman Rohit Sharma became the leading run scorer in the Indian Premier League on Tuesday night.
Sharma, who scored 23 against Super Kings, surpassed Virender Sehwag as the leading batsmen in the tournament and is the holder of the Orange cap now.
The top six batsmen in the IPL are: Rohit Sharma (258), Virender Sehwag (247), Gautam Gambhir (225), Adam Gilchrist (223) Kumar Sangakkara (203) and Mahendra Singh Dhoni (196).
Other statistical highlights
- Scott Styris became the sixth batsman to amass 1,000 runs or more in Twenty20, joining Brad Hodge (1,651), Darren Maddy (1,391, David Hussey (1,324), Hylton Ackerman (1,224) and Martin van Jaarsveld (1,089).
- Chennai Super Kings, after winning four games in succession, have lost three in a row.
- Deccan Chargers posted their second victory - their first win in the competition was against Mumbai Indians by ten wickets.
- Gilchrist's 54 off 36 balls is his second best score in the competition.
- Gilchrist, with two sixes, equalled the IPL record for most career sixes (15) held by Brendon McCullum. Virender Sehwag (14) is second in the list.
- Rudra Pratap Singh, with Joginder Sharma's wicket, became the third bowler to claim 10 wickets (ave.19.00 in 7 matches) or more in the IPL. Irfan Pathan and Zaheer Khan, with 12 wickets each, are the leading bowlers in the competition.