Ship Of Theseus: 5 reasons that make it an important film
Posted on: 04:12 PM IST Jul 18, 2013
New Delhi: Director Anand Gandhi's 'Ship Of Theseus' is all set to hit the screens on July 19, 2013. The film features Adia Al-Khashef, Neeraj Kabi and Sohum Shah in the lead roles and has been receiving praises from all quarters. Here are five reasons that would prompt people to come to the theatres to watch 'Ship Of Theseus'.
1. Many significant filmmakers have showered the film with praises after watching it at various festivals and private screenings. Directors like Anurag Kashyap, Dibakar Banerjee and Karan Johar openly expressed the desire to direct a similar film. It's a rare feat to achieve in Bollywood because seldom do the contemporaries admire a colleague's work.
2. Films such as 'Ship Of Theseus' will pave the way for better indie films. Though Kiran Rao and Aamir Khan are backing the film but initially the film made the waves to make them notice. If the film is even half of what has been said about it, then the audience is going to witness a landmark film which may change the future course for independent films.
3. We have seen experimental cinema in Bollywood but even they think about the melodrama to achieve more penetration among the spectators. 'Ship Of Theseus' is not avant-garde but it opts for a different narrative strategy which doesn't connect the three simultaneous stories in a typical manner.
4. The film has won awards at prominent film festivals which gave it a chance to remain in the news. Intellectually, the Indian audiences have grown a lot in recent years, and now it's the time to give them such a film which can compete at international levels. 'Ship Of Theseus' is getting a limited release but it's success will inspire more filmmakers to come up with innovative concepts.
5. Sohum Shah, the producer of the film, believes Anand Gandhi's honesty is the USP of the film, "The USP of the film is that it has been made with utmost honesty. It has been made exactly the way the director wanted to make it and there have been no compromises with the story." How many times do we see this happening in the Indian film industry where films are still treated as a mode of entertainment!
A story about human values, 'Ship of Theseus' features three characters - an experimental photographer, ailing intellectual monk and a stock broker. If the film turns out to be a winner at the box-office then it will be a much awaited win for Anand Gandhi and his team. (With inputs from IANS)