US: White House temporarily evacuated due to fire alarm
Posted on: 08:40 PM IST May 11, 2013
Washington: Reporters and photographers were temporarily evacuated from the West Wing of the White House on Saturday morning as an electrical problem set off a smoke alarm. The First Family was not affected, a White House official said.
"Early this morning, an electrical transformer near the West Wing malfunctioned and set off a smoke alarm in the West Wing. The transformer problem was quickly resolved," the official said. "Electricity and personnel access to the West Wing has returned to normal. The First Family was unaffected," he said.
The West Wing houses the Oval Office and the offices of President Barack Obama's key staff. The personal residence of the president and his family is located between the East and West Wings.
More from this Section
September 2, 2015, 12:09 pm IST
September 2, 2015, 12:04 pm IST
September 2, 2015, 11:56 am IST
September 2, 2015, 11:30 am IST