New Delhi: Indian Premier League (IPL) Chairman and Commissioner Lalit Modi has said that no foreign player of Rajasthan Royals team is quitting the league following the serial bomb blasts on in Jaipur.
"The players had queries on the security arrangements and have been briefed about the same. They are happy now. They will be going to Jaipur for the match. The Bangalore team is also coming for the match. We have spoken to the Rajasthan Chief Minister and Home Secretary VS Singh. The private security agencies employed by us are also working on providing foolproof security. Everything will be fine by tomorrow," Modi said.
Earlier, Rajasthan Royals Team Manager Darren Berry was quoted by Macquarie National News in Australia as saying that Shane Warne, Shane Watson, Graeme Smith along with him were planning to quit from the IPL following Tuesday's bomb blasts in Jaipur.
"(There's) a real option of getting on the plane and getting out of here. We are not comfortable at all. This is an extremely uncomfortable situation," Berry was quoted as saying by Macquarie National News.
Berry said his family members in Australia were concerned about his safety in India.
"Cricket has been good to me, but I have a wife and three kids back in Melbourne and they are less than impressed with the part of the world I am in."
Berry said Warne was also worried due to the bomb blasts that killed more than 60 people in Rajasthan's capital.
"I was talking to Warnie and asked, 'If this blast had occurred a day before we were due to fly over here, would we still have come?' He said there was no way we would have come. It is terrifying. To think I was standing in the exact location the bombs went off only two days ago...it was a couple of kilometres from the team hotel."
"The whole country has gone into lockdown," he said.
But the Rajasthan Royals Media Manager told CNN-IBN he'd not heard from Darren Berry regarding a pullout.
"All players will be back in Jaipur by tomorrow. Darren and Shane will be in Jaipur by tomorrow. Darren hasn't communicated to us about it. Even Shane Warne has never shown any desire to go back to Australia. There is no meeting going on amongst players right now and they haven't raised any issues. They just want to know the security that will be provided. Even we have conveyed them about the security arrangements. They haven't asked for any security cover," Joshi said.
Rajasthan Royals lead the IPL Points Table and will play Bangalore Royal Challengers in their home leg encounter on May 17 in Jaipur.
Australia and South Africa have previously pulled out of tours citing security concerns. Bangalore had offered to host that match after the blasts but it was turned down by the IPL.
More from this Section
May 23, 2015, 7:47 pm IST
May 23, 2015, 7:41 pm IST
May 23, 2015, 7:31 pm IST
May 23, 2015, 7:21 pm IST