White House gatecrashers get TV show
Posted on: 10:04 AM IST Mar 27, 2010 IST
Washington: Two wannabe TV stars who gate crashed US President Barack Obama's State dinner for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the White House last year are getting their wish at last.
The Virginia socialite couple, Tareq and Michaele Salahi, who sauntered in uninvited to the dinner, will star in and become the focal point of Bravo's reality series The Real Housewives of D.C. , according to the Daily Beast.
All 12 episodes of the premiere season have been shot and are slated to premiere in July, the US news reporting and opinion website said.
The Salahis, who shook hands with both Obama and Manmohan Singh and had themselves photographed with Vice President Joe Biden and many others have maintained that they were invited to the event. But the couple, whose prank ultimately cost presidential Social Secretary Desiree Rogers her job, have refused to answer questions from members of a House panel about how they got in.
The Daily Beast cited a source close to the series tells that Bravo executives were more than relieved to learn the Salahis wouldn't be prosecuted.
In-house viewing of the audition footage and sample programmes made it obvious that it would have been next to impossible to edit out the commanding presence of the statuesque platinum blonde, Michaele, they said.
The website cited sources close to the couple as saying the public has gotten the wrong impression of the Salahis, and that the "misunderstanding" about the White House invitation has turned their lives upside down.
They've now engaged prominent literary agent Sharlene Martin and they plan to try to set the record straight in an upcoming tell-all book. Martin promises, "People will be surprised when the truth about the Salahis is finally told."
More from this Section
May 23, 2015, 8:03 am IST
May 22, 2015, 11:12 pm IST
May 22, 2015, 9:53 pm IST
May 22, 2015, 9:31 pm IST