Allow Telangana march: Outfits tell Andhra govt
Posted on: 03:47 PM IST Sep 24, 2012
Hyderabad: A delegation of pro-Telangana organisations on Monday appealed to the Andhra Pradesh government to allow proposed 'Telangana March' on September 30 in Hyderabad demanding statehood for the region, asserting that it will be held in a "peaceful" manner.
In a letter addressed to President Pranab Mukherjee, representatives of eminent citizens of Hyderabad, Telangana Development Forum and Senior Citizens Association appealed that democratic rights of the 40 million Telangana people be protected and they be allowed to take out the march.
They sought not to treat their move as a threat to law and order situation.
"Repressive measures will not compel the people of Telangana to give up their demand and we would like to request the President to notify the central and state governments to issue specific instructions not to resort to violence and illegal methods to stop the proposed Telangana March," they said in the letter.
"We appeal to the AP government to permit the march which will be undertaken in a peaceful way," they said. Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy has already asked his Cabinet colleagues from Telangana region to prevail upon the Joint Action Committee and get the march put off as it is scheduled around the time of Ganesh (idol) immersion and the Convention on Biological Diversity, beginning from October 1.
City police have already denied permission for the march but have expressed apprehension that the Telangana supporters may defy the prohibitory orders like they did during the 'Million March' last year, which witnessed large-scale vandalism, including destruction of the statues of Telugu icons at Tank Bund in Hyderabad.