Pune: Anna Hazare to meet Medha Patkar
Posted on: 08:22 AM IST Sep 18, 2012
Ralegan-Siddhi: Unhappy with the manner in which the anti-corruption movement has been floundering for the past few months, its chief proponent Anna Hazare has decided to take some drastic steps to put it back on track, an official said on Monday.
For starters, Hazare has cast his net wider by inviting 35 top social workers from all over India for confabulations on how to strengthen and take forward the movement, the official said."Tomorrow, he will meet around half a dozen prominent social figures in Pune, followed by a similar meeting in New Delhi on Wednesday," the aide, requesting anonymity said.At these meetings, Hazare is expected to make an appeal to these personalities each renowned in their respective sphere to either join or advise him on taking the anti-corruption crusade to its logical end.Some of the prominent persons who have been invited include: Prakash Amte, Medha Patkar, Abhay Bang, Girish Prabhune, Suniti SR, Vishwambhar Choudhary, Surekha Dalwi, Ulka Mahajan, Bhau Torsekar, Narendra Dabholkar, Jaywant Matkar and Avinash Dharmadhikari.While many have responded positively to the invitation, a few others have cited prior commitments preventing them from attending Hazare's deliberations.Hazare emphatically reiterated that he would not contest elections, nor form a political party throwing cold water on a 'referendum' by India Against Corruption (IAC), the results of which were released on Monday evening.According to the IAC, its week-long survey attracted 737,041 respondents of whom 76 per cent favoured a political party, while the rest 24 per cent were opposed to a new political outfit.
More from this Section
August 3, 2015, 11:53 pm IST
August 3, 2015, 8:14 pm IST
August 3, 2015, 8:05 pm IST
August 3, 2015, 7:09 pm IST