Suryanelli case: No evidence against Kurien, says Kamal Nath
Posted on: 02:45 PM IST Feb 26, 2013
New Delhi: The government stood firmly behind Congress leader and Rajya Sabha deputy Chairman PJ Kurien as the Suryanelli rape case came up for debate in the House. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath said that no evidence had been found Kurien by the investigating agencies and that the lawyer who represented the rape survivor in the Supreme Court had said that no case could be made against him.
The Left, however, criticised the government's stand saying that it cannot come in defence of an officer of Parliament who has been elected by the members of the House. "The Deputy Chairman should come and explain his stand, government cannot come and explain his stand. It is unconstitutional."
The rape survivor had recently filed police complaint seeking that Kurien be named accused in the case. However, no FIR has been filed so far. Kurien even issued a defence statement just days before the Budget session was to begin, stating that he had been exonerated in the case.
Meanwhile, the bail plea of 14 of the 36 accused in the case will be heard on March 4.
More from this Section
August 5, 2015, 12:12 pm IST
August 5, 2015, 11:23 am IST
August 5, 2015, 11:08 am IST
August 5, 2015, 10:46 am IST